Tuesday, October 9, 2012

environments

Growing up in the south you learn that following a boy anywhere is like giving up on yourself and your independence, and if you do it without a ring you are just a dumb girl.  And as my friend/cousin reminded me on our 5 hour lunch the other day, coming to CA was not about following a boy.  It's about moving forward and taking a risk, making the hard decision to try something new, along with giving my boyfriend the chance to start his dream.  I could have very easily said no, I want to stay in TX, and boyfriend would have stayed with me. But people don't grow when they are just content with their lives, they grow when they push themselves out of their comfort zones and into new situations.  So to all of you who think I am crazy for following a boy out to CA, don't think of it that way anymore.  Think of it as me stepping out on my own for the first time and trying to find out who I can be.  I just so happen to have an extremely supportive boyfriend along for the ride. 

I also made a lovely little list of the reasons I should be proud of myself. Things I have been doing here in Cali that I never did nor would I have done in Tx. And it goes a little something like this:

1. Playing volleyball once a week (sometimes more) with new people each week 
2. Putting my life out on a blog for people to read
3. Jumping on BART and exploring the city
4. Making new friends
5. Job hunting
6. Cooking something new every week
7. Looking into going back to school in a couple years
8. Being the supportive but not totally dependent girlfriend
9. Being able to stay positive (most days) 
10. Signing up for volunteer opportunities

Happy Tuesday everyone! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi. I love you. And I nominated you for the Liebster award. Check it out here. :) http://justbreathe-stacy.blogspot.com/2012/10/ive-been-nominated.html

    ReplyDelete