Wednesday, July 25, 2012

always learning

I bought and started reading a book yesterday called, "I Got My Dream Job, and So Can You." This is my first ever self help purchase. Within the first two chapters I realized I am going about my job search entirely the wrong way.  Did you know that 70% of people hired are hired because of networking? Yea, that leaves me a 30% chance of getting hired the way I am doing it.  Which is just sending out resumes and cover letters. Not to say this is a bad way, but quite possibly not the most effective. I am of course changing my cover letters and resumes to showcase the skills I need for the specific job and the high level of interest I have in the company itself, but still not the most effective job search.  I also learned that when I go in for a job interview and they ask what I have been doing in my spare time, taking classes at a community college looks good along with volunteering.  So as of this morning I have officially been “accepted” to a community college. YAHOO! Because I want to go into the technical recruiting, I will hopefully be taking intro to CIS along with some sort of communications course. (I haven't gone through the communications classes yet.) I can sign up for classes tomorrow.  I also called a company I am incredibly interested in working for to ask if they would be at any upcoming career fairs in the bay area, so I could go, meet, and hopefully learn more about the company. The phone call was not a total fail, in fact I think it ended on a high note, and someone should be in contact with me this week or next.  I strongly feel that I started today on an excellent foot, and I am officially heading in the right direction.

I know I promised pictures of the turkey meatloaf I made for dinner last night, and I did take some, but meatloaf just isn't pretty.  I read about 10 different meatloaf recipes and then proceeded to make this one up.  It's about 60% meat and 40% other stuff.  The other stuff is onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms, zucchini, a wee bit of panko, one egg, chicken stock, and a dabble of Worcestershire.  Naturally there is a tomato sauce on top as well.  Over all I just want to change up the seasonings...because I didn't add any! I realized halfway through the operation I did not have one fresh herb in my house.  Thyme and tarragon will be involved on the next round.  Todays assignment is chocolate chip cookies. I am way more excited about the cookies and you WILL have pictures of those tomorrow.  :) 
Today’s list includes the following: 
  1. Call guy to fix sink (ya, I know that was on yesterdays list, sometimes we just don’t  get to everything we intend to.)
  2. Chocolate Chip Cookies
  3. One hour of HTML videos
  4. Run
  5. Spanish for one hour
  6. Call company I love and ask about career fair appearances
  7. Community College stuff
Over all today was a much better day as far as attitude goes.  I am slowly starting to believe in myself and my previous successes.  I will find myself here in California.  The picture below is how I am feeling today. I hope I can keep this attitude up! 

1 comment:

  1. Yay, blog #2!! What a cute picture of you by the bridge.